Readymade Halal baby food brand targets busy Muslim parents
Halal convenience baby food brand Nasims has secured its first listings with Tesco and Asda.
The Norwegian brand, which launched to the UK retail trade last year, is distributed in the UK by Worldwide Brands.
The range, which is sourced and produced in the UK, consists of six ready-made meal pots suitable for babies from 6 to 10 months old. Recipes include Oriental Salmon Supper, Lamb Curry, and Spaghetti Bolognese. The range also includes Halal infant formula (‘1’ for babies up to 6 months old and ‘2’ for 6 months onwards).
The meals contain no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives but are fortified with iron; they can be heated and served directly from the plastic pot.
They will be sold individually at selected Tesco and Asda stores across the UK, retailing at £9.99 for infant formula (800g) and £1.39 per 120g meal pot pack.
The brand was developed by Nasim Rizvi, a Norwegian mother of 5, of Pakistani origin who had struggled to find suitable Halal ready meals to feed to her own children. AnnBeth Bergh, an entrepreneur who created the successful Norwegian baby food brand SmåFolk (Small People) which was acquired by the Norwegian dairy company TINE in 2001, is managing director of the Nasim board.
Bergh says “We are ambitious for the brand so we are delighted to have secured these listings with two major UK retailers. There is an enormous market for us in Europe and America, so the UK launch is just the beginning.”
The retail roll out is being supported by a promotional campaign which will include advertorials and competitions with mother and baby website Emma’s Diary starting this month; advertising and editorials in Muslim media including Kashmir Link London (top banner) and Islamic channel Samaa TV (advertising, 500 spots) and advertising in local Birmingham, Bradford and Luton newspapers. Promotions outside Tesco and Asda stores will be supported by Facebook campaigns.
Guy Harris, commercial director, Worldwide Brands says: “This will be a comprehensive campaign to raise awareness among young Muslim families, particularly those where both parents work and they do not have the time to prepare their own baby food.”
Many Muslim babies living in Europe have iron deficiencies. Traditional baby foods contain non-Halal meat, which makes them unsuitable for Muslim children.
Rizvi says: “Meat is known to be the largest source of iron and, with a baby food enriched with iron and Halal meat, Nasims offers children of Muslim origin a new source of nutrition that is specially adapted to their needs and culture.”
- Ends -
• Nasims was founded in Norway in 2013 by Nasim Rizvi, a Norwegian mother of 5, of Pakistani origin
• Nasims’ managing director is AnnBeth Bergh, the entrepreneur behind the Norwegian baby food brand SmåFolk (Small People) which was acquired by the Norwegian dairy company TINE in 2001
• Nasims launched its range to the UK market in March 2014
• Nasims’ UK distributor is Worldwide Brands
• Nasims offers a range of Halal infant formula and baby foods, suitable for babies from 6 to 10 months old
• Nasims’ food products contain no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives and are fortified with iron
• Nasims halal baby foods are supplied in pots which can be heated and used to serve the meal
• Nasims’ food products are produced in the UK
• The Halal meat and fish is of English origin and the vegetables are organic
• Nasim’s infant formula is produced in the Netherlands
• Nasims’ products are priced at £9.99 for infant formula (800g) and £1.39 per 120g meal pot pack.
For further information please contact:
020 8334 0200